SLNC Six-Month Report
SLNC Six-Month Report
In June, Silver Lake residents and stakeholders elected a new Silver Lake Neighborhood Council
Governing Board. Over the last six months, we have worked to represent you – and to be sure the
issues you care about most are addressed. The SLNC is pleased to share this six-month report, and
we are dedicated to continue our progress to better serve the needs and interests of all Silver Lake
- The SLNC partnered with CD4, CD13 and community organizations to be sure the Los Angeles
Department of Water & Power (DWP) fulfilled its commitment to refill the Silver Lake Reservoir. Three well-attended community meetings were organized, and we are pleased that DWP has pledged to begin refilling this landmark in May 2017. SLNC will continue to monitor DWP’s progress and report to the community.
- After months of work by residents, the SLNC Transportation and Public Works Committee cochair/Region 1 rep Doug Loewy, and Council Districts 13 and 4, the Los Angeles Department of Transportation installed Overnight Parking District (OPD) signs at Armstrong Avenue and Silver Lake Boulevard, around the southern perimeter to Van Pelt Place and north on West Silver Lake Drive to Balmer Avenue.
- The Board worked to communicate residents’ concerns about noise and activities at Tenants of the Trees bar at 2808 Hyperion Avenue and to facilitate public comment about its application to operate a “dance hall.”
- The SLNC Governing Board and the Urban Design and Preservation Advisory Committee worked with the community to facilitate concerns on a number of projects slated for development, including Junction Gateway
- SLNC worked with the City of Los Angeles Bureau of Street Services to repair streets and sidewalks on Hyperion Avenue, Sunset Boulevard, Silver Lake Boulevard, Coronado Street and Rampart Boulevard. Additional repairs will be done on Griffith Park Boulevard.
- We supported and promoted numerous community events including:
- Music Box Steps Day
- Grinchmas Snowy Wonderland at the Silver Lake Recreation Center
- SLNC History Collective at the Los Angeles Archives Bazaar
- Halloween at Bellevue Park Recreation Center
- Ivanhoe Elementary School’s “Ivanhoe Down”
- Griffith Park Adult Community Center’s Halloween party
- National Public Lands Day Clean-up at Bellevue Park
- The 2016 Valley Preparedness Fair, which brings awareness to the importance of being
prepared for emergencies and disasters.
- Coyote training and awareness presented by the Northeast Silver Lake Neighborhood
Watch and the National Park Service
- Reservoir beautification projects by Friends of the Silver Lake Reservoir
- Urban agriculture incentive zones
- The LA River Bike Greenway project
- The History Collective has recorded 100 interviews with long-term residents, business owners, artists and other interesting residents of Silver Lake to create an oral history of the unique history of our neighborhood for future generations.
- SLNC facilitated meeting on ongoing Whole Foods 365 issues with residents and Whole Foods
and advocated for neighbors with CD13 and Whole Foods
- Led campaign to help the community avoid the harmful consequences of has leaf blowers, and a potential city fine, and printed educational flyers
- Funded community projects including bilingual CERT classes, Relay For Life, asphalt repair for Hilltop Nursery School and Dog Waste Bags around the Silver Lake Reservoirs
- Approved a $1,000.00 grant to the AT Center in support of their Saturday Matinee Program.
- The SLNC also created the 50+, Homelessness In Silver Lake, and the Neighborhood Business
committees to better serve specific needs and concerns of our community. And to ensure the
important history of the LGBTQ community is memorialized, the board allowed excerpts of SLNC’s “Black Cat Bar 2009 Celebration” video for a L.A. Conservancy mini-documentary.
- Outreach is key for the growing success of the Silver Lake Neighborhood Council and we are excited that SLNC Newsletter subscribers have increased by 60 percent in five short months, thanks to the great work of the Outreach Committee and its co-chairs, SLNC board Region 6 rep Betsy Isroelit and Terry Jackson, Region 7 rep.
- We would also like to thank Alison Cohen and the Los Feliz Ledger for including our monthly letters in this terrific community newspaper.
- And special thanks to all SLNC Governing Board and committee members who work so hard to serve their community.The goal of the SLNC is to continue our progress in better serving the needs and interests of our Silver Lake stakeholders. We are a hard working board, made up of volunteers who love giving back to the community we love.
The Silver Lake Neighborhood Council wishes you all a peaceful, healthy and hopeful 2017!
For more information about the SLNC, please visit www.silverlakenc.org.
- SLNC Town Hall Meeting: New Information from LADWP
- Illegal “Pot Speakeasy” Raises Concerns
- Community Tours Proposed Reservoir Walkway
- Spotlight on SLNC’s Homelessness in Silver Lake Committee
- Tenants of the Trees Complaints Mount
- Board Green-Lights “Green” Initiatives
Dakota Pipeline Protestors in Pershing Square, Nov. 15, 2016 (Photo by Julia Wick/LAist)
Read article here.
- Residents Ask for More Transparency in Future of Reservoir Complex
- Water Flows, Community Celebrates
- Congressman Schiff Names SLNC Co-chair Silver Lake’s Woman of the Year
- Monsanto’s Roundup Weed Killer Banned in Reservoir Areas
- Community Support Drives King Middle School Grant Win
- Have a Ball… or 400,000
- Community Voices Concerns about Proposed Development
- Spotlight on Urban Design and Planning Committee
- SLNC to Sponsor Taste of the Eastside
- Keeping Silver Lake Beautiful: Project Updates
- SLNC 50+ Committee Sponsors Emergency Training
- Owlets Hatch in Silver Lake
- Reminder: No Dogs In the Meadow
- SLNC-sponsored Wild Flowers in Full Bloom
- Thomas Starr King Heads to Finals for $25,000 Grant
- New Overnight Parking Restrictions on Silver Lake Boulevard
- Rowena: Let There Be Lights
- SLNC Funds Homeless Outreach Grant, Reinstates Adopt-A-Stair Program
- Standing Room Only at CD13 Candidate Forum
- SLNC Elects Terry Jackson Treasurer
- Community Issues Tackled in Vision & Goals Meeting
- Education and Friends of Animals Committees Elect New Co-chairs; SLNC Appoints New Secretary
- First Committee Meeting to Ensure HHH Homeless Funds Are Used Effectively
- Silver Lake LGBTQ Author and Historian Stuart Timmons Dies
- LAPD: Update on Silver Lake Burglaries
- SLNC Supports Free Legal Assistance for Immigrants Facing Deportation
- Volunteers Needed for Reservoir
- Rowena “Road Diet” Update
- SLNC Remembers 50th Anniversary of First LGBT Civil Rights Demonstration, Which Took Place in Silver Lake
- Silver Lake in the News
- SLNC Six-Month Report
- Homeless in Silver Lake Committee Supports PATH Initiatives
- Board Appoints New Board Member for Region 1, Appoints Aging and Film Liaisons
- Impact of Oakland Fire: Is Silver Lake Ready?
- SLNC Affirms Support of DWP Reservoir Commitments
- Fighting Out-of-Scale Development
- SLNC Tackles Potholes
- LADWP Confirms Reservoir Will be Refilled to Historic Level
- Past SLNC News and Articles
- Free Legal Services for Vets