Resource list for “Words can Help or Hurt: Life as An American Muslim,” prepared by Silver Lake Library Branch Manager Lisa Palombi
A sampling of Books & DVDs available at Silver Lake Branch Library
DVD 297 L4965 Legacy of Peace
This filmed discussion of local Muslim and Christian religious scholars dispels the myths around Islam.
DVD 320.9496 L8975 Love is a Verb
This documentary follows a global movement of faithful Muslims teaching education and peace.
327 M678 Age of Anger: a history of the present. Pankaj Mishra. (2017)
The author traces the historical roots of the politics of anger and hate.
297 M873 Islamophobia: religious intolerance against Muslims. Alison Morretta. (2017)
Discusses the roots of discrimination and violence against Muslim people in America.
297 A835-2 No god but God: the origins and evolution of Islam. Reza Aslan. (2011)
Aslan examines the rituals and traditions of Islam.
956.9 S1243 My Hope for Peace. Jihan Sadat. (2009)
Anwar Sadat’s widow reveals how her life as a Muslim woman sustains her quest for peace.
297 W7247 Islam: understanding the history, beliefs, and culture. Julie Williams. (2008)
Straightforward treatment of the basics of Islam.
301.450954 P295 Acts of Faith: the story of an American Muslim… Eboo Patel. (2007)
Author shares stories of growing up in America and being the “other”.
297 S244-1 What do Muslims believe? The roots and realities of modern Islam. Ziauddin Sardar. (2007)
Discusses the basic customs and beliefs of Islam.
290 I195 The Faith Club: a Muslim, a Christian, a Jew; three women search for understanding. Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver, Priscilla Warner. (2006)
The title says it all!
In the Children’s Section:
X 290 B936 A Faith Like Mine: a celebration of the world’s religions. Laura Buller.
X 290 O81 One World, Many Religions: the ways we worship. Mary Pope Osborne.
X 297 W189 This is my Faith: Islam (Budi’s story). Holly Wallace.
Additional Organizations & Speakers
University Religious Center at USC. Contact Varun Soni or Jim Burklo at 213-740-6110.
CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) Greater L.A. Chapter https://ca.cair.com/losangeles/ Referred by Rev. David Farley.
C.L.U.E. Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice http://www.cluejustice.org/ Elizabeth Rhea, communications director
- LADWP Begins Work on Reservoir South Dam Walkway
- SLNC Appoints Melissa Samuels to Represent Region 4
- Reservoir: Master Plan and Next Steps
- Public Discussion Will Explore Legacy and Future of Silver Lake’s LGBTQ Community
- SLNC Supports Stormwater Capture Program – with Addition
- Third “Words Can Help…and Hurt” Discussion to Focus on LGBTQ Misconceptions
- Emergency Heat and Fire Contacts
- Laurel and Hardy Have Surprise Helper at Music Box Steps Day
- L.A. County Superior Court Looking for Paid Volunteers to Serve on Civil Grand Jury
- Hygiene Kit Drive 2017
- Spotlight on the Transportation and Neighborhood Safety Committee
- Special Update: Glendale Boulevard Water Main Construction
- Bellevue Park Participates in National Public Lands Day
- Three Links to Emergency Preparedness
- Ivanhoe Reservoir to be Temporarily Drained
Photo by Matthew Iadarola
- LADWP Reports on Power Outages to SLNC
- Get Ready, Get Set… Apply for a Speed Hump!
- SLNC Announces Committee Co-chairs for 2017/2018
- Board Appoints Kate Hudson Representative for SLNC Region 4
- History Collective Adds CD4 Councilmember David Ryu Interview to YouTube Channel
- Second “Words Can Help…or Hurt” Event Inspires Spirited Conversation
- CD 4 Weighs In on Silver Lake Improvements
- Upcoming Bureau of Street Services Projects in Silver Lake
- Homelessness in Silver Lake Committee Reports on Milestone
- SLNC Votes to Support Two Environmental Measures
- First Community Discussion on “How Words Can Help…and Hurt” Attracts Diverse Audience from Across L.A.
- Resource list for “Words can Help or Hurt: Life as An American Muslim,” prepared by Silver Lake Library Branch Manager Lisa Palombi
- New “No Dogs Allowed” Signs to be Installed at Rec Center and Meadow
- CD 4 Councilmember David Ryu Chairs Health, Education and Neighborhood Councils Committee
- Fletcher Road Diet Meeting Postponed
- LACFD Taps Silver Lake Reservoir to Battle Wild Fires
- 51st Assembly Candidates Appear at Governing Board Meeting
- SLNC to Open Office at Rec Center
- More Road Diets Ahead?
- Saving Silver Lake’s History
- Board Votes to Continue Parking Requirements at Cliff’s Edge
- SLNC Will Provide Transparency on Reservoir Master Plan
- Sunset Lights Up
- Beautifying Silver Lake
- Sunset Blvd Tunnel to Close
- SLNC Board Funds “No Dogs” Signs at Meadow and Rec Center
- Spotlight on the SLNC Bylaws & Standing Rules Committee
- New Road Signs & Trash Cans to Make Silver Lake Safer & Cleaner
- Experts Address Challenges Faced by Wildlife and Humans Living Together
- Committee Addresses Staggering Increase in Homeless Counts
- SLNC Governing Board Re-elected
- SLNC Transportation and Safety Committees Merge
- Reservoir Town Hall: New Answers, More Questions
- Pothole Progress
- Animal Committee Addresses Dog Issues in Children’s Play Areas
- SLNC Ends Budget Year
- Illegal “Pot Speakeasy” Raises Concerns
- Community Tours Proposed Reservoir Walkway
- Spotlight on SLNC’s Homelessness in Silver Lake Committee
- Tenants of the Trees Complaints Mount
- Board Green-Lights “Green” Initiatives
Dakota Pipeline Protestors in Pershing Square, Nov. 15, 2016 (Photo by Julia Wick/LAist)
Read article here.
- Residents Ask for More Transparency in Future of Reservoir Complex
- Water Flows, Community Celebrates
- Congressman Schiff Names SLNC Co-chair Silver Lake’s Woman of the Year
- Monsanto’s Roundup Weed Killer Banned in Reservoir Areas
- Community Support Drives King Middle School Grant Win
- Have a Ball… or 400,000
- Community Voices Concerns about Proposed Development
- Spotlight on Urban Design and Planning Committee
- SLNC to Sponsor Taste of the Eastside
- Keeping Silver Lake Beautiful: Project Updates
- Owlets Hatch in Silver Lake
- Reminder: No Dogs In the Meadow
- SLNC-sponsored Wild Flowers in Full Bloom
- Thomas Starr King Heads to Finals for $25,000 Grant
- New Overnight Parking Restrictions on Silver Lake Boulevard
- Rowena: Let There Be Lights
- SLNC Funds Homeless Outreach Grant, Reinstates Adopt-A-Stair Program
- Standing Room Only at CD13 Candidate Forum
- SLNC Elects Terry Jackson Treasurer
- Community Issues Tackled in Vision & Goals Meeting
- Education and Friends of Animals Committees Elect New Co-chairs; SLNC Appoints New Secretary
- First Committee Meeting to Ensure HHH Homeless Funds Are Used Effectively
- Silver Lake LGBTQ Author and Historian Stuart Timmons Dies
- LAPD: Update on Silver Lake Burglaries
- SLNC Supports Free Legal Assistance for Immigrants Facing Deportation
- Volunteers Needed for Reservoir
- Rowena “Road Diet” Update
- SLNC Remembers 50th Anniversary of First LGBT Civil Rights Demonstration, Which Took Place in Silver Lake
- Silver Lake in the News
- SLNC Six-Month Report
- Homeless in Silver Lake Committee Supports PATH Initiatives
- Board Appoints New Board Member for Region 1, Appoints Aging and Film Liaisons
- Impact of Oakland Fire: Is Silver Lake Ready?
- SLNC Affirms Support of DWP Reservoir Commitments
- Fighting Out-of-Scale Development
- SLNC Tackles Potholes
- LADWP Confirms Reservoir Will be Refilled to Historic Level
- Past SLNC News and Articles
- Free Legal Services for Vets
Search This Website