40+ Volunteers Turn Out to Support SLNC’s Hygiene Kit Drive and Homelessness Education Day
By Silver Lake Neighborhood Council Homelessness in Silver Lake Committee Co-chairs, Darius Derakshan and Nithya V. Raman
On November 18, the Silver Lake Neighborhood Council (SLNC) held a multi-neighborhood, inter-generational Hygiene Kit Drive and Homelessness Education Day at the Silver Lake Recreation Center. It was a huge success! Hosted jointly by the Homelessness in Silver Lake Committee and the Youth Committee, with support from the 50+ Committee, over 40 volunteers showed up carrying donations and helped build close to 600 hygiene kits that will be distributed to folks experiencing homelessness in Silver Lake and surrounding neighborhoods.
The day began with a welcome by Anne-Marie Johnson (SLNC Governing Board Co-chair) and overview of the neighborhood council system, specifically how it serves the community on issues like homelessness. This was followed by a presentation by Nithya Raman (SLNC Homeless in Silver Lake Committee Co-chair) discussing the issue of homelessness, how it affects Silver Lake, and what Silver Lake residents can do to help. Afterwards, attendees jumped right into sorting donations and building Hygiene Kits in an assembly-line fashion.
The drive included a large number of donations and a huge turnout from local Girl Scouts, including Troop 12545 from Silver Lake (special thanks to Jennifer Avery), Troop 915 from Eagle Rock (special thanks to Michelle Alvarez), Troop 16245 from Los Feliz (special thanks to Erica Vilardi), and Troop 17425 from Silver Lake / Echo Park (special thanks to Asha Farris).
Local schools also played a major role. Nicole Federici and Abbey DiGregorio from Friends of Ivanhoe and Ivanhoe Elementary, along with Adam Moore from Friends of Franklin and Franklin Elementary, organized donations and delivered several boxes of donations to the drive.
Adults and seniors also got into the mix. Patty Jausoro and Stephanie Vendig, Co-chairs of the SLNC 50+ Committee, marshaled donations plus volunteers from the Griffith Park Adult Community Center. The SELAH Homelessness Neighborhood Coalition showed up in force, with many members helping plan and coordinate the drive, including Cathy Takemoto, Cat Kim, Janet Kim, Dorit Dowler-Guerrero, and Lisa Francois, who all went to engage with homeless residents in the morning and came to the hygiene kit drive in the afternoon.
The drive could not have been possible without the support of SLNC Treasurer Terrance Jackson, who accompanied Darius and Nithya for a marathon two-hour 99-Cent Store hygiene kit run, and Secretary and Outreach Co-chair Betsy Isroelit’s frequent promotion in the Silver Lake Newsletter.
The kits will now be used by Recycled Resources and SELAH to help those in need–and to hopefully start a conversation with homeless residents that will help them find a home.
For more information about the Homelessness in Silver Lake Committee, email Darius Derakshan at firstname.lastname@example.org and Nithya V. Raman at email@example.com.
- Wildlife Night at the Rec Center: Movie and Popcorn!
- LADWP: Ivanhoe Reservoir Refilled Next Week
- Volunteers Turn Out in Droves to Support Homeless
- Panel Leads Spirited Discussion on LGBTQI Legacy and Future
- Councilmember David Ryu: Two Truths and a Challenge
- Vandals Hit Parklette on Tesla
- In Memoriam: Rusty Millar
- Your Voice Matters
- 40+ Volunteers Turn Out to Support SLNC’s Hygiene Kit Drive and Homelessness Education Day
- LADWP Begins Work on Reservoir South Dam Walkway
- SLNC Appoints Melissa Samuels to Represent Region 4
- Reservoir: Master Plan and Next Steps
- SLNC Supports Stormwater Capture Program – with Addition
- Emergency Heat and Fire Contacts
- Laurel and Hardy Have Surprise Helper at Music Box Steps Day
- L.A. County Superior Court Looking for Paid Volunteers to Serve on Civil Grand Jury
- Spotlight on the Transportation and Neighborhood Safety Committee
- Special Update: Glendale Boulevard Water Main Construction
- Bellevue Park Participates in National Public Lands Day
- Three Links to Emergency Preparedness
- Ivanhoe Reservoir to be Temporarily Drained
Photo by Matthew Iadarola
- LADWP Reports on Power Outages to SLNC
- Get Ready, Get Set… Apply for a Speed Hump!
- SLNC Announces Committee Co-chairs for 2017/2018
- Board Appoints Kate Hudson Representative for SLNC Region 4
- History Collective Adds CD4 Councilmember David Ryu Interview to YouTube Channel
- Second “Words Can Help…or Hurt” Event Inspires Spirited Conversation
- CD 4 Weighs In on Silver Lake Improvements
- Upcoming Bureau of Street Services Projects in Silver Lake
- Homelessness in Silver Lake Committee Reports on Milestone
- SLNC Votes to Support Two Environmental Measures
- First Community Discussion on “How Words Can Help…and Hurt” Attracts Diverse Audience from Across L.A.
- Resource list for “Words can Help or Hurt: Life as An American Muslim,” prepared by Silver Lake Library Branch Manager Lisa Palombi
- New “No Dogs Allowed” Signs to be Installed at Rec Center and Meadow
- CD 4 Councilmember David Ryu Chairs Health, Education and Neighborhood Councils Committee
- Fletcher Road Diet Meeting Postponed
- LACFD Taps Silver Lake Reservoir to Battle Wild Fires
- 51st Assembly Candidates Appear at Governing Board Meeting
- SLNC to Open Office at Rec Center
- More Road Diets Ahead?
- Saving Silver Lake’s History
- Board Votes to Continue Parking Requirements at Cliff’s Edge
- SLNC Will Provide Transparency on Reservoir Master Plan
- Sunset Lights Up
- Beautifying Silver Lake
- Sunset Blvd Tunnel to Close
- SLNC Board Funds “No Dogs” Signs at Meadow and Rec Center
- Spotlight on the SLNC Bylaws & Standing Rules Committee
- New Road Signs & Trash Cans to Make Silver Lake Safer & Cleaner
- Experts Address Challenges Faced by Wildlife and Humans Living Together
- Committee Addresses Staggering Increase in Homeless Counts
- SLNC Governing Board Re-elected
- SLNC Transportation and Safety Committees Merge
- Reservoir Town Hall: New Answers, More Questions
- Pothole Progress
- Animal Committee Addresses Dog Issues in Children’s Play Areas
- SLNC Ends Budget Year
- Illegal “Pot Speakeasy” Raises Concerns
- Community Tours Proposed Reservoir Walkway
- Spotlight on SLNC’s Homelessness in Silver Lake Committee
- Tenants of the Trees Complaints Mount
- Board Green-Lights “Green” Initiatives
Dakota Pipeline Protestors in Pershing Square, Nov. 15, 2016 (Photo by Julia Wick/LAist)
Read article here.
- Residents Ask for More Transparency in Future of Reservoir Complex
- Water Flows, Community Celebrates
- Congressman Schiff Names SLNC Co-chair Silver Lake’s Woman of the Year
- Monsanto’s Roundup Weed Killer Banned in Reservoir Areas
- Community Support Drives King Middle School Grant Win
- Have a Ball… or 400,000
- Community Voices Concerns about Proposed Development
- Spotlight on Urban Design and Planning Committee
- SLNC to Sponsor Taste of the Eastside
- Keeping Silver Lake Beautiful: Project Updates
- Owlets Hatch in Silver Lake
- Reminder: No Dogs In the Meadow
- SLNC-sponsored Wild Flowers in Full Bloom
- Thomas Starr King Heads to Finals for $25,000 Grant
- New Overnight Parking Restrictions on Silver Lake Boulevard
- Rowena: Let There Be Lights
- SLNC Funds Homeless Outreach Grant, Reinstates Adopt-A-Stair Program
- Standing Room Only at CD13 Candidate Forum
- SLNC Elects Terry Jackson Treasurer
- Community Issues Tackled in Vision & Goals Meeting
- Education and Friends of Animals Committees Elect New Co-chairs; SLNC Appoints New Secretary
- First Committee Meeting to Ensure HHH Homeless Funds Are Used Effectively
- Silver Lake LGBTQ Author and Historian Stuart Timmons Dies
- LAPD: Update on Silver Lake Burglaries
- SLNC Supports Free Legal Assistance for Immigrants Facing Deportation
- Volunteers Needed for Reservoir
- Rowena “Road Diet” Update
- SLNC Remembers 50th Anniversary of First LGBT Civil Rights Demonstration, Which Took Place in Silver Lake
- Silver Lake in the News
- SLNC Six-Month Report
- Homeless in Silver Lake Committee Supports PATH Initiatives
- Board Appoints New Board Member for Region 1, Appoints Aging and Film Liaisons
- Impact of Oakland Fire: Is Silver Lake Ready?
- SLNC Affirms Support of DWP Reservoir Commitments
- Fighting Out-of-Scale Development
- SLNC Tackles Potholes
- LADWP Confirms Reservoir Will be Refilled to Historic Level
- Past SLNC News and Articles
- Free Legal Services for Vets
Search This Website